Time for Change: Take Action
Wake up the policy-makers! It is extremely important for the purposes of the campaign to raise awareness on this issue throughout Europe. The main targets are media and the general public. With their help it is possible to force European politicians to reconsider European immigration policies and to develop a human vision on migration.
Use the information compiled in the ‘UNITED List of Refugee Deaths’ to organise activities: lectures, multicultural evenings, debates or prepare a petition.
Make our list as public as possible to advert against the cruel and inhuman consequences of Europe’s exclusion policy.
The sheer number of deaths documented on the ‘UNITED List of Refugee Deaths’ is powerful in itself, yet each individual casualty must not get lost in statistics. The human dimension is what makes the List so potent; by giving attention to the very real challenges, struggles and suffering that migrants face, you help your target audience to relate to and engage with the situation. In your campaigning, adopt cases that you feel will resonate most strongly with them – some possible options have been highlighted throughout this leaflet – if necessary, contact the UNITED campaign secretariat in Amsterdam (Geert Ates +31-6-48808808) for more background information.
DONATE, help to continue this campaign
To continue this campaign, we will need 500 people to donate 40 Euro/year…
HELP to improve the ‘UNITED List of Refugee Deaths!’
Share your information about refugee deaths, send us (in any language) newspaper clippings and online links
Inform us about mistakes you find in the list, or propose improvements
We are looking for volunteers from all over Europe:
– to help with a part of the online research in many languages and help us to preselect sources containing death cases
– to regularly correct and edit the english summaries in the public ‘UNITED List of Refugee Deaths’
– to translate the list and to update present translations
– a webmaster to help to make improvements on our website, and to improve and regularly update our online map
– to help fundraising
– to help stimulate local action with the list
– to help posting background information about all death cases on Facebook (or a blog) in historical order
– to help improving the outreach on Social Media such as Twitter and Instagram
– to create attracktive Youtube content for the general audience
– to support the migration of the Filemaker database to a newer version
And for volunteers in Amsterdam who can work on the list from the secretariat regularly
Contact Geert Ates +31-6-48808808 in case you can help the team for a longer period!
USE the ‘UNITED List of Refugee Deaths’!
The most recent list is accessible online and can be used by activists, researchers, journalists and artists to generate further awareness through their own work and projects. See for the conditions /about-the-united-list-of-deaths/
Journalists and researchers can request the complete and searchable export for research at firstname.lastname@example.org.